In my last post I mentioned that I never did get a chance to make a proper cake for mom. There's a bit of a story on that because mom claims, and no one disputes, that she has never had a birthday cake made for her by us on her birthday. Technically, since we had the cake Sunday and not Saturday, I guess she's still right, but at least we made the effort!
So, after church we came home, gardened a bit, I planted a few new herbs (yay!) and then, since Gideon was very disappointed that we hadn't made a cake with rhubarb yet like I had *promised* him, mom said to me to just do whatever, and make a cake. (She didn't even warn me not to 'waste' the almond flour)
In case you didn't know, Isaac is training, informally of course, to be somewhat of a gormet chef, and he's pretty handy in the kitchen.
Well, here's the recipe, but be warned, we don't know how this will turn out with 'normal ingredients', and it uses a lot of eggs since we can't have the usual leaveners like baking powder and soda.
Also, the measurements are merely guesswork because we didn't pay attention or use measuring cups that much.
Mom's Rhubarb Birthday Cake
from the kitchen of Jordan and Isaac
Ingredients:
Rhubarb (diced)
Honey (plenty of it)
Almond Flour
10 Eggs (separated)
2 tsp Cinnamon (and/or nutmeg) plus a little to sprinkle over the top
Coconut Ghee (or any kind of butter, oil, or grease: it's a very flexible recipe)
Directions:
- Preheat oven to 350. Fill a 9-by-13 inch pan with as much diced rhubarb as you want, we did it a little over half full
- Drizzle about 1/3 to 1/2 cup honey over the rhubarb in pan, more or less depending on your taste
- Beat the whites of the eggs until very stiff. Set aside. Beat yolks slightly and pour over the rhubarb and honey
- Mix together 4 cups almond flour and 2 tsp cinnamon
- Beat 3/4 cup ghee (or other oil) together with 1/3 cup honey. Add this and the egg whites to the dry ingredients and beat until mixed well
- Sprinkle cinnamon and nutmeg over the top
- Spread topping over rhubarb and bake for 45 minutes.
- Cool slightly, and serve while still warm
- Enjoy!
We had a lot of fun, and the cool part was that there weren't very many ingredients. Even mom liked it, and she rarely likes almond flour stuff, so we took that as the greatest compliment!

5 comments:
Sounds good, though my mom dislikes rhubarb.
Rhubarb birthday cake-I may have to try that sometime! I've never heard of it before but I'm sure it's tasty.
P.S. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment, feel free to drop by my blog any time.=)
Sorry about that. Lena pushed a button. I thought I had fixed the thing, but, I didn't.
You are the best older sister, ANYONE, anyone, has ever had.
Love you lots.
Emma Lou
Oh. You are the smartest one too.
Why must my mouth water so?!?!?! =)
Thanks for commenting on my blog. I just wanted to thank you for praying for DLW.
Camden
Post a Comment