Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Lately.

Our deep conversations while watching 'Pride and Prejudice'.

The scene is early in the show at the Lucas's when Lizzie turns down Mr. Darcy-

Caleb- "Is Mr. Darcy more mature than Mr. Bingley?"

Mom- (who is the one actually watching the show) "Yes."

Caleb- "Oh, I thought Mr. Bingley was more mature…"

----------------------------------------------

Our new Pastor was preaching a few Sundays ago and he stopped in mid-sentence to stare intently at our ceiling. Rather curious behaviour, but most everyone wanted to know what he found so disturbing, I mean, interrupt the sermon to stare at the ceiling fan? Well, he didn't leave us in doubt for long. Apparently, this is an old trick- if you look at something long and hard enough, everyone else will try to see what you're seeing. So, to get the focus off of us, our ministry, and what we think Christ looks like- if we focus on Christ (and the key here is NOT focus ourselves) throughout everything that we do and say and in all our ministry, then, people will get curious and start looking up with us.

He used an interesting approach to an important point, I'd never seen it before, have you?

---------------------------------------------

I am discovering the power of Chemistry. That is, the power of learning chemistry. All from my kitchen table I can formulate the fuel for a rocket (eg, Rocket Science!); combine chemicals to produce refrigerant (highly useful for all manner of heating and cooling); and tarnish silver spoons (on purpose!)- but the clincher is, I have never blown anything up, harmed myself, or wrecked our spoons (we don't have real silver anyway.)

What would we do without science?

Signing off-

JORDAN ELIZABETH

2 comments:

Chip said...

Great writings.

Chip

p.s. I thought Mr. Darcy just thought he was more mature. And that is why he came off seeming like a snob. In the beginning I mean.

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

That's kind of what I thought too (siding somewhat with Caleb on the maturity thing) - while Darcy didn't go crazy over every pretty girl, at least Bingley didn't have delusions how great he was. :D