Monday, July 26, 2010

Through the Looking-Glass

I have a confession to make:  I have never read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.  I have seen two video adaptations of it, including the old disney cartoon.  I have been in the play and have quoted several famous lines, all without even reading one page of the old novel.

Ok, well, maybe a page or two, to check and see if certain parts of the movie were remotely connected to the actual story (they were, go figure)

But, I think I'm old enough now to enjoy nonsense tales, so I'm going to give it a try- I even looked it up on Wikipedia and found out that the riddle which the Mad Hatter (my current favorite character) asks Alice isn't quite as pointless as to be without a punchline.

Why is a Raven like a Writing desk?

Here are some answers that Wikipedia offers:

Because it can produce a few notes, though they are very flat; and it is nevar put with the wrong end in front! ~from Lewis Caroll (nevar is spelled wrong, thus it is raven backwards.)

Because there is a "B" in Both and an "N" in Neither. (reveals the absurdity of the original question)

Because the notes for which they are noted are not noted for being musical notes.  (can anyone argue?  Maybe a writer of Symphonies can...)

Poe wrote on both.  (English students have to get this one...)

Neither one is made of Cheese.


So, if you want, leave a comment and vote for your favorite answer.  And/Or go get a copy of this classic tale - like I already did - and experience the fun for yourself.

~Jordan Elizabeth

1 comment:

KyAnn said...

I hope you will check out my online, Christian magazine for tween/teen girls: http://bloommagazine.webs.com. I would love it if you subscribed and applied for the staff, if you're interested.
KyAnn