*Warning* this post is random, strange, and you might not be able to understand what I’m trying to get across, and I hope you will at least not be terribly confused!
... ... ...
What is heaven going to be like? It will be amazing to dwell with our God and to learn things that are beyond our wildest imaginings. (Consider I Corinthians 2:9-10) Here is what has been standing out to me most as I ponder the subject of Heaven and Christ's eternal kingdom – Someday the children of God will have ceased their incessant arguing and there will be no more confusion that leads to disruption. (I am hoping desperately for peace!! If anyone knows anything that would comfort or discourage me in this hope, please, let me know!!)
What do I mean by that? Well, the bickering between sons and daughters of God has been going on since the disciples got mad at James and John for wanting to sit on Jesus’ right and left hand, and if we're honest, since long before that. (See Mark 10:35-45) It should be no surprise when through the years it has continued to divide the people. What is frustrating- to me is when both sides of a disagreement (over very serious and important matters of the Kingdom) declare that they are entirely right and that any naysayers are borderline heretics. It bothers me when such heavy words are tossed around like so many puppy treats.
*Disclaimer* Heresies are possible to identify, are supposed to be labeled as heresy, and ought to be resisted, but I'm just pointing out how in the Church, disagreements aren't discussed with the light of charity and the Bible, but are actually made into battle fields with each respective party throwing their favorite verses around (often the same verses…) like ammunition. I realize that many people temper their ‘arguments’ with disclaimers similar to mine and also are much kinder to their opponents than some, but not all.
Before I go on, I should clarify- What I mean by the Church is the Bride of Christ- His people, the believers, recipients of salvation who have been redeemed, who are being sanctified, and who will be glorified with Him in the end. (In case anyone hasn't noticed, this is a very momentous and exciting topic!)
It is one thing for Christians to disagree, but does anyone believe that truth can be known anymore? I ask this because when two proponents of an argument are so completely opposite each other in their interpretation of the same passages of scripture and they have so little acceptance that any part of their beliefs could be incorrect, then how can you choose one 'side' over the other? There are only two sides- Christ's and those against Him, so how can Christ's side be so divided?
It is one thing to say that you are only a Bible believing Christian when you have to define the words "Bible", "Belief" and "Christian" with words of man. The Scriptures must be interpreted and explained in human terms. But as II Peter 1:19-21 says there is a real and actual meaning that God had in mind when He gave His words to the prophets.
(Have you clicked on any of the links yet?)
In my family, we have our fair share of fighting (ahem - *hand waving* - "could you define 'fair'..." Enough said.) I would like to draw a comparison between our familial bickering and that which goes on between the individual gatherings of those who claim to be people of God (i.e. - Lutherans vs. Baptists), and the individuals which make up the gatherings (i.e. - one Lutheran vs. another Lutheran).
We're all one family right? There is one Spirit, one baptism, one Lord, one faith... and being siblings together, we're instructed to get along. Not only get along, but be victorious and accomplish great things for the Kingdom of God (forgive my 'lofty' speech, but we serve a big God who is in the business of doing spectacular, amazing, and exciting things with his humble creations. I can't get over it. Even the smallest daily trials are spiritual battles in your soul, so if you want to be hum-drum why don't you just go climb a tree?)
One thing that has gone on forever, (yes, forever, look it up!) is division within the family of God. Everyone has someone with whom they 'disagree' (yes, that's the 'nice' way of putting it) and I'm not arguing for a one-size-fits-all method of Christianity (I guess everyone has figured out by now that I'm not a Methodist in the clearest sense of the word.) There are methods for doing things, but disagreeing over which method to use for dish-washing, scripture memory, or schooling isn't the problem- ARGUING over the methods is the problem.
Now, you've probably been weighing this over in your mind (like me) and realized that there is method-arguing, and there is principle-arguing. Arguing over whether to use anti-bacterial soap or not when washing your hands is a matter of method. Arguing over whether or not to wash your hands... well, that's a different thing altogether, it's a disagreement over principle. (I'm assuming we all agree on this principle? Can I see a show of hands? Clean ones?)
Until now I was young and naive.
*laughs*
OK, maybe I still am, but until recently, I had not realized that all Christians do not agree on what the Bible teaches about stuff that I had just taken for granted, being taught it since I was little, and it really shook me at first seeing how divided the Church has become. (I'm still learning, but have people always been like this? Was division easier to identify 'back then' in the early years of the Church, or harder?)
So, I've been pondering this, and questioning 'truths' and I'm finding that I understand less than I did before.
What I do know is that there is a possibility to know truth. The Spirit of God which is given to all believers reveals to our spirits what is true; we cannot just make it up. It seems to me that the Bible isn't enough for everyone anymore and I love a good theological treatise like anyone else (or should I say, unlike anyone else?) There may not be a one-size-fits-all method of Christianity, but there certainly is truth which is revealed in the Bible. Remember I Corinthians 2:9-10? The Spirit searcheth all things, yea, the deep things of God. James 1:5 says that anyone can ask God for wisdom, and it will be given to Him, but we have to ask in faith. So much disagreement over fundamental matters of Christianity causes doubt. I should know. Doubt is not faith. Doubt and faith don't even belong in the same being together. We cannot have faith when we don't even know what we believe or why we should believe it- if we could be just as wrong as the next man, why bother? Because there IS truth and God does reveal it.
Like others before and around me, I am realizing our need for a revival. It is not enough for us to think we believe something - and to drown all opposition in defending 'our' view, we need to KNOW we believe something, because it is reliable and it is GOD'S view. Apostasy and falling away is not limited to America, but neither is the body of Christ. Revival is necessary worldwide and I pray that it will come soon.
It is, in fact, coming. You can hear it in the wind.
The Lord will not leave His people desolate, but will strengthen and revive us in these last days (and yes these are the last days. If John could call the days he lived in 'Last' then we don't need to argue about this either)
Can you hear it?
The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is everyone that is born of the Spirit. ~John 3:8
~Jordan Elizabeth
No comments:
Post a Comment