Thursday, August 05, 2010

The Melting Pot

No, I'm not talking about America.

Well, then again, I might be.

See, my soul is really a melting pot, into the pot go facts, observations, feelings, books I read, ideas of my own invention, bad influences that I might come across, decisions I make, decisions others make... and then, Voila! what is produced after it all melts together is my character.  Nothing is neutral.  Everything must be considered.  But this makes it sound so hopeless, doesn't it?  On my own, my life would be a horrible mish-mash of sinful desires and actions.

But there is such a thing as grace.

Grace is what caused me to go from a sinner, lost in wickedness, to a redeemed creature- unworthy, but loved by an amazing Saviour Who was willing to reach down and take on my sin.  He did it with JOY!!  Romans 12:2- ...Who for the joy that was set before Him, endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.  He didn't do it begrudgingly or halfheartedly.  His whole soul was involved, His every passion, His consuming love and mercy...

These are the thoughts of the saints through the ages.  I echo them gladly, in awe, with a tingle of fear and admiration.

By the way, I have just been reading the book by Joshua Harris called Boy Meets Girl.  Definitely a resource I would recommend any Christian who plans on being in this world for any length of time.  Also, definitely a book I would recommend being read by people with their parents.  For many reasons, not the least of which is the parent's superior wisdom and experience as opposed to their younger offspring.

Has anyone tried to read Spanish?  I say tried because although the meaning comes slowly to me, the pronounciation is horrible- at least I think so.  Beyond my spanish course, my only resources are Spanish tracts and literature-- oh, and the Bible.  Since I know what the Bible says, it is easier to decipher En el principio era El Verbo, y el Verbo era con Dios, y el Verbo era Dios. San Juan 1:1.  Simple, No?

Quiz time:

1. What relationship do these numbers have:  (hint:  the relationships of each line is the same and has something to do with how quickly the time seems to fly)

     a)  5-12-19-26

     b)  1-8-15-22-29

     c)  6-13-20-27

     d)  4-11-18-25

     e)  2-9-16-23-30

     f)  7-14-21-28

     g)  3-10-17-24-31

2.  Figure out this statement:  In my family there are two and a half dozen kids, to be precise.  How many children do we have, exactly?

3.  Define the term Christian:  



What does a Christian do?  How can you tell a believer from a non-believer?

Usually, when someone thinks of someone who is "religious", they might come up with something like this:  He doesn't smoke or drink or swear or do anything fun.

Of course, he might not smoke or drink or swear or do anything "fun" in the world's eyes, but being a Christian is more than a list of don'ts, it's a list of Do's and Done's.

Do love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, and mind.

Do love your neighbor as yourself.

Do train your children up in the admonition of the Lord.

Do study His word.

Do chose what is right, not what's easy.

The reason you can do anything good is because of what Christ has done for us on the Cross.

I also order everyone to find a copy of the book Because He Loves Me by Elyse Fitzpatrick.  Find it.  Read it.  Ask the Lord to help you Apply it.

One of the downsides of having your family fall in love (proverbially speaking) with the story Oliver Twist is that the younger kids inevitably end up trying to see if they are good pick-pockets or not.  Mostly not, but they were going at it pretty hard the other day.  Five minutes couldn't go by without someone calling out, "He pick-pocketed my money (watch, handkerchief, etc)!!!"  Ah well, can't blame them, the Artful Dodger is kinda cool.  Ok, Really cool.  Is this bad to like a lying, cheating, theiving character?

So, my thoughts lately have been many and varied.  And I didn't really talk about America at all, did I?  Sure I did, twice, at the beginning and now here at the end.

*Sigh*  It is far too late for me to be up on the computer...

Oh well.

~Jordan Elizabeth

2 comments:

Chip said...

Good post. I like posts that look like someone spilled there mind on their blog. It is most insightful.
I got the spanish. In the beginning was the word, and the word was with God, and the word was God. And just so you know, I did it without looking at the reference.
Oh and the math thing, is just add 7.
Okay, now I feel smart and edified, thank you.
In Christ
Chip

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

Ahhh, now that someone has commented I can reveal the information that I have been keeping in anguish forever!

I got the idea for the numbers from writing up a calendar of this year and writing in the dates. Every month has those numbers in a vertical line. I thought it was kind of cool.

~Jordan Elizabeth