Sunday, August 09, 2009

Yawn…

All right, here’s a quick recap. These last couple weeks have been so busy- I’ve been babysitting, and we had VBS, and my family went camping over last weekend at Dead Colt Creek (awful name, even awfuller when you consider what’s in the water in the ‘creek’- it’s actually a man-made lake) Among other things. Now when friends tell me, ‘you look tired’, or something like that I reply, ‘yeah, well, I’ve been tired since around June!’ But, let me ramble now, I have not done so in quite a while…

My job is going well; I’ve saved up more than half of the money I need to get my new violin outfit which includes violin, case, and bow. I’ve already ordered it and that was one of my accomplishments last week, I ordered it over the phone- something I’ve never done before- and something that definitely counts for ‘going out of my comfort zone’. I don’t even think I said ‘um’ more than once or twice! Hmmm… I suppose I’ll have to do something harder next time because I’ve so enlarged my ‘comfort zone’.

Gideon is a bad boy. He is so bad, I need to hit his nose.

OK, please totally disregard that last sentence. Gideon is my six year old brother and he came over here and started trying to read over my shoulder so I thought I’d give him something he could read that was a little more interesting. I know, I have no imagination sometimes, but he at least thought it was funny!


We went camping with our uncle, aunt, and their three kids. They have a boat and a big tube, and water skis, and a knee board... and we had a ton of fun. I tried knee boarding for the first time- and succeeded! I was pleasantly surprised. I had been expecting to fail and to fail miserably, but happily I only fell twice- both times when we had to cross our own wake when it was really rough. Even Isaac had a turn on the big tube. When Emily and I went together with our cousin, we hit a very large bump and my hand is still sore (a week later) from the jolt.

But, injuries only remind us of how frail we are, and no one really got hurt so all’s well that ends well. That defnitely ended well. (Therefore, we could assume that that was well!)

Our VBS this year followed a curriculum put out by Go Fish. In case anyone doesn't know about them they used to do ‘regular music’, but about six years ago started doing kids music that won’t drive parents crazy to listen to. (and it really doesn't!) After the three days of Bible School which focused on the Ten Commandments and raised over five hundred dollars to give shoes to children in the Congo, (yay!) the church hosted a Go Fish concert and all the VBS kids got free tickets and back stage passes. I wasn’t one of the ‘kids’, but I did get a free ticket- in other words, I was a volunteer at the concert and got to sit right up front (my job was holding down the little kids) but I’m not sure if I should rephrase that to say I ‘had’ to sit right up front- we were about six feet away from three of the humongous speakers. Not a really pleasant ear drum experience, but still fun. Jamie, Jason, and Andy are really tall, really nice, and very, very good singers. I liked their music even way back when I first heard them- and the day they can’t sing in three part harmony is the day the music dies. *grin*


So, besides that all, my violin teacher got married, they make such a beautiful couple- if I may say so. Lovely wedding, beautiful bride. Yes, and although I didn’t say it to her face (I somehow got a little shy… I don’t know why I get that way!) "You are beautiful, Kiersten!”


And we’ve been canning green beans- which includes picking, washing, snapping the ends, washing jars, etc… I didn’t have that much to do with it (besides the snapping) because I was gone, but we are also canning peaches. I have a lot to do with this. One of the nice things is sneaking slices of peach during the process. It keeps you from getting hungry. Ever. I’m sure by the time we’re done with our 16 lugs I won’t want to ever see another peach. I know I feel that way about apples when we do applesauce.


While we were camping, I spent some time in the hammock with a good book. May I recommend A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L’Engle for anyone who hasn’t read it? It made my favorites list big time!


Well, that about wraps it up, tomorrow we’re giving a little ‘concert’ if you will at our great grandma’s assisted living center. We’ve got quite a program put together, hopefully an hour will be long enough! The kids are possibly going to sing a song from VBS along with the CD, if they don’t get stage fright- and maybe even if they do!


I won’t get butterflies in my stomach until I step up to the mike, so I can say I’m not worried at all! But I gotta go to bed, farewell, goodnight, and God bless~

2 comments:

Ptáček said...

You liked my book. That maketh me full of joy.

the end.

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

You kidding?! I loved your book!