Friday, August 14, 2009

Absolutely.

He who speaks does not know. He who knows does not speak.
~an Eastern Proverb
Whoever the guy was who said this, he spoke didn't he? By his own reasoning that means he doesn't know- so does it even matter what he said?
At first you might say that this kind of reasoning is so common 'now-a-days'. Or is it just a common way for fallen mankind to reason? The idea of proving you're right by disproving something else and using the very thing you're disproving to prove that it isn't so... makes my head swim!
I'm reminded of the noise when someone calls into a radio station but stays near the radio to hear themself. Their own words go into the phone and out the radio and into the phone and out... Around and around, causing nothing but chaotic noise.
It's no one-liner when a person says there is no absolute truth. And you better believe they would say their statement was absolutely true.
Once, a man had a discussion with a pastor about the 'right' way to speak about other religions. He spent a lot of time arguing that the pastor ought only to talk aout other religions without mentioning Christianity as the 'only true religion'. You know, instead of saying 'Either Christianity is true or something else is, but not both'- he wanted a 'both Christianity and all other religions are true at the same time'.
Either/Or. Exclusive, right?
Both/And. All inclusive, right?
When the man finally finished and for the first time took up his fork to begin eating, the pastor replied with something like this- "So, you're telling me that Either I say that all religions are equally true, Or say nothing else." The man was stunned to realize that while arguing for a 'Both/And' philosopy, he had been forced by logic to use an 'Either/Or' argument.
This is not a new phenomenon. For centuries man has been trying to get out from under God's truth. They're not going to be able to.

4 comments:

Chip said...

Mans Reasoning is pretty frail. I just catching up on your posts. Louie Gigglio does a good job of pointing out how small we really are, I really like those movies. Sounds like you have had a good summer.

Chip

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

Definitely. I've been reading Don't Waste Your Life as part of a discussion group on the Rebelution- VERY hard hitting, and that's one of the reasons I call it a really good summer!

~Jordan Elizabeth

Ptáček said...

Girl! I miss you. We have to hang out when I get back from Cali. I leave tomorrow...and get back the 29th. Of course, School has the audacity to start up almost immediately after, but we'll work around it.

Good post! I have many time pondered this exact topic. Sigh. Your ending was so solidifying, though. Good stuff, darling. :)

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

Thanks. *smiles*

Surprisingly, I am really looking forward to school this year.

But oh boy are we going to be busy... Hopefully you guys will be part of the busyness!