Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The WOW of God 101

The Wonder Of the Works of God 101, in other words.

When I was very small, I'd look at the world- you know, the blue sky, green grass, brown dirt, animals, tall trees, people, etc, etc- and I'd briefly think, "Wow, God made the world. That's great."

Then I got a little older.

Suddenly, sky wasn't just sky, grass wasn't just grass, dirt wasn't just dirt, trees weren't just trees, and people- I still didn't know much about them.

Instead of 'sky', I saw air, and clouds, and beauty. Grass and other plants 'breathed' in carbon dioxide and 'breathed out' oxygen. Dirt is many different colors and made of many particles and organic substances. Trees had trunks and leaves and made paper and boards and there were lots of different kinds.

"Wow," I' d think, "The earth sure is complicated." I was right, but what I didn't know was that it was a lot more complicated than I thought.

As the years rolled by, I learned about ecosystems, the water cycle, the planets, stars, and galaxies, and each time my wonderment grew as it seemed that God Himself grew and kept amazing me with new possibilities.

Did you know that your muscles give off an electrical impulse when you move?

that sharks use this signal to locate prey?

that your eyeball is an extension of your brain?

that no two snowflakes, fingerprints, or grains of sand are exactly alike?

that every thing on this earth is composed of particles called molecules which are made up of atoms which are protons and neutrons linked together in the perfect number and perfect order and perfect size so as to perfectly sustain your life?

that all of your organs (ideally) work together in perfect harmony, each needing the others?

that the heavens declare the glory of God? and all creation is filled with His handiwork? (By the way, even if you didn't know this you probably figured it out by now)

that every human being is created with a soul that is connected to him and is designed for intimacy with God?

that God wanted to save us from the penalty of our sin and rebellion and His Son even died for us in the most horrific way so that we don't have to live a miserable, pointless life and then die and go to hell forever?

...

See, as I grew and learned more about the natural world and the supernatural world, the bigger God became. I started thinking, "Wow! I will never be able to know all of God!"

This is why we will need an eternity to fully understand Him and all of His Wonderful Works!

“Aslan, Aslan. Dear Aslan. At last.”

… She gazed up into the large wise face. “Welcome child,” he said.

“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you’re bigger.”

“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.

“Not because you are?”

“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”

C.S. Lewis in Prince Caspian


2 comments:

Jacob R Parker said...

Very thought provoking post. I love how you tied in the Narnia quote.

LocaChica said...

That's really neat! I had no idea that my eye was an extension of my brain...that's interesting :)
LocaChica