Monday, July 20, 2009

The Growing Circle

Recently, one of my brothers said something that really startled me.



No, he didn't suddenly begin to dislike Lord of the Rings. :) All he did was say "I think Jordan is my favorite sister."


I mean, how sweet is that?! But, as usual, it made me think.


He is watching my EVERY MOVE
. And you can bet he's not the only one.


We're good friends; we like to hang out, talk about stuff, read the same books, watch the same movies- we have the same standards... though, for myself, I really can't say where I got this kind of respect with him




But I can hear it every time he "quotes" me as an authority on one subject or other. And I can see it in his hurt expression every time I lose my temper. He always seems to look- right when I mess up!




And then again, he's always glad when I emerge victorious. I guess this kind of sisterly influence is something you're born with, a sort of 'divine right to rule'- but I have to make the most of my time in this position. It's too precious to waste. I'm not very good at this yet, but I sense the need to ask myself what others see in me- or more importantly, Whom others see in me.



Ok, I know, this kind of turned into a "I have the greatest brother in the world" type thing, but my point is you can't always know how big your sphere of influence is. Every time you meet someone new, it expands.


So.



Who's in your circle?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, who are you anyway? That is the question that mulls in my mind often. You make me very proud. Thanks for thinking of how you influence the others in our house. I need to do some serious housecleaning in my own actions. Mom

LocaChica said...

Wow, that's some really serious but neat stuff. Being the older sister of 9 siblings, and the younger sister of 1 older brother, I have many, many, many eyes watching every move I make. The choices I make influence them more than I will ever know. What a great wake-up call!
LocaChica

Anonymous said...

Aww, how sweet Jordan!

Miss Sarah Jean said...

Awww... that was sweet of him! Isn't it amazing how much our actions can affect those around us? Really cool and kind of scary at the same time. That means that not only are we responsible for ourselves when we make mistakes, but also for those who are watching!
Thanks!
Blessings!

Unknown said...

Though I have more little pairs of eyes watching me than you do (for everybody else, I have twelve younger siblings), I've considered my job easier than yours because I can at least learn from the achievements and mistakes of my older sisters.

Thanks for the reminder, JE! My day is now in its proper perspective...