Saturday, June 13, 2009

Weeds and bugs and Gideon John

If you want to weed a garden and have free entertainment besides, pick Gideon as your weeding partner. He’s so funny! and cute.


While he was pickin’ da weeds, as he says, in our spectacular raspberry patch, he found a long-deceased, very squished bug. A grub, if you want the truth. He showed it to me on his shovel and with a usual boy’s enthusiasm remarked- “I’m gonna throw this at… someone.” His undertone was one of ultimate danger and sheer delight with a really great plan that he was shortly going to put into action. “I’m gonna find Emily and throw it at her because,” with great satisfaction, “I like to hear her scream.” Naturally I was not so thrilled with the idea myself, so in an attempt to make him think in a more protective, brotherly way about his sisters I said, “Oh, but you should be nice to your sisters.” To which he replied with a rather resigned sigh, “Ok, I won’t throw it at her.” And he proceeded to give the bug a nice burial using his boot for a gravestone.


In case you thought that during this whole dialogue he wasn’t doing much by the way of actually picking weeds, you were correct. But, he helped me have a good attitude by having a good attitude himself about the whole thing- he never complained once, and neither did I so I guess all was well. Afterwards, while I watered the raspberries he went of his own free will to weed the asparagus. I could hear him saying “Caleb, Caleb, do you wanna come help me weed the asparagus?” Caleb didn’t exactly want to, but he did help, some.


And if anyone is curious about the extreme lack of photographs, I’ve been meaning to put some up, but-

1- Our camera was out of batteries,

2- Our internet connection is IMPOSSIBLE. (If your mother ever tells you you’re impossible, tell her she’s never met our computer.) and,

3- All of our digital camera cards are now full with pictures I cannot erase so I can’t take any anyway.

On another note, since I feel like writing more, I’m going to be testing for my driver’s permit sometime soon, and mom and dad had the hassle of trying to get an official birth certificate for me. It really was a hassle because I was born in another state and all. Well, the 'Certificate of Live Birth' was sitting on the counter tonight, so I picked it up and showed it to Emily, telling her mockingly, "Here's proof that I was born." She looked at me seriously and said, “Oh, no, I don’t think you were, Jordan.” Hmmm, I wonder…


So anyway, signing off-


1 comment:

Camden said...

It's neat to know that we can help shape the way younger kids will mature and grow-- as well as a great responsibility.

Nice line about kids being 'impossible.' =D

As for driver's permits, I have the same sort of thing. Apparently when I was born, all my parents were given was sort of a 'sub-birth certificate,' and at certain places, it hasn't been enough proof. Sometimes I feel like saying "Hello! I'm right here! Proof of Birth?!?" =]

Camden

Hey, thanks for referencing Do: Living Water on your blog! It means a lot to me!