Eighteen years ago, on this very day, my mom and dad gave each other their vows to remain faithful 'until death do us part'. In other words, they tied the knot.
And am I ever glad that they did! Today we planted most of the rest of our garden stuff. Mom had a nice supper planned out for the 'Anniversary dinner':
- Grilled Cornish Game Hens (marinated in mom's own special mixture)
- Carrots 'n' Onions
- Watermelon
- Salad
- Mom's Rhubarb Birthday Cake. (This time though it was Mom and Dad's Anniversary cake.)
The cake was actually Isaac's idea, and since he started cutting up the rhubarb I thought it only fair that I skip math for awhile and help with the rest of it since I would have to tell them how to do it anyway because I forgot to write down the recipe- this blog excluded. The kids set the kitchen table really fancy, with a table cloth, crystal glasses (ok, I don't know if they're really crystal, but they look like it) and Caleb even invented an edible centerpiece!
What he did was this. He put asparagus into a vase, set the vase on a plate and surrounded it with carrot sticks. Absolutely a masterpiece. I added the final touch of a vaseful of Lilacs. Mom loves lilacs. Rebekah contributed candles so the table was exquisite.
Really, it was nice. Most of us kids ate outside on the picnic table so they could have a chance to talk.
Well, aside from a few dishes, school, and other miscellaneous things, that was my day.
QUOTE OF THE DAY: (actually of yesterday) "An open mind is nonsense. It's just an excuse to believe in everything and commit to nothing." - Mrs. Drew from Focus on the Family Radio Theatre Father Gilbert Mysteries. The Grey Lady
3 comments:
Sounds like a great day. Parents are the best. I really also like the quote, even though I have never heard it before I have thought things like when people tell me I have a closed mind.
And yet she is proven wrong as the story progresses...
Yes, I know Mrs. Drew is proven wrong- in a way. I did like the quote though because it makes you think how dangerous it can be to have an 'open mind'...
As in, not believing in absolute truth.
Post a Comment