Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Creation Wonderment...

photo courtesy of E.Anna Photography
Why does familiarity dull the excitement?  How come a story loses something by the five hundredth telling?  Do we still have eyes to see?  The creation story of Genesis is so old hat by now- First there was nothing, then –zing – there was everything.   

Yawn…  God was speaking and the universe was springing into existence just as fast as He spoke it…  Earth –bang!  Sky – bang!  Isn’t that funny?  Do you find anything remotely odd about this situation?

Twiddle thumbs… we’ve heard it before.  In the beginning God created… and so on and so forth. 

The gospel stories that we’ve all heard since childhood – if we’re all like me- to some they may not be so familiar.  A man, born blind, Jesus spits in the dirt, rubs it on his eyes and, “Go wash in the pool of Siloam”.  Huh?  Ok.  What was that like?!  To see darkness one moment (is that possible, to “see darkness”?) then suddenly to see the shape of fingers wiping away mud that is graced by the presence of divine spittle.  Water.  Light.  The world.  I once was blind, but now I see…  Where does such faith come from?  It was so obvious that the religious leaders cringed before the power of God.  But we must revel in it.

I hope I will use the eyes that I have been given to see the greatness of God.  I hope I will not question His great plans – Who sinned, this man or his parents… Neither, but this must be to show My power...  I once was blind but now I see. 


------------------------


This is from some thought doodling I did last year after reading Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl by N.D. Wilson, a book I recommend with caution...

No comments: