Monday, May 02, 2011

Of Duty and Valour, Kings and Shieldmaidens...

...

'Shall I always be chosen?'  [Eowyn] said bitterly.  'Shall I always be left behind when the Riders depart, to mind the house while they win renown, and find food and beds when they return?'

'A time may come soon,' said [Aragorn], 'when none will return.  Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes.  Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised.'

J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King

...

2 comments:

LocaChica said...

Hmmmm...that really got me thinking! What a thought-provoking and brilliantly true passage by Tolkien!!
Oh wow..how I've missed your blog!!! It's soo good to be back in the blog world!!
LocaChica

P.S I love your new blog look, it's so green and spring-y :)

Miss Jordan Elizabeth said...

It's amazing to me sometimes how poignant and meaningful Tolkien's words are. He speaks truth, not only to Middle earth, but also in this century. We may not have rampant evil rings, Elves, or King Elessar, but valiant deeds are always needed!