Thursday, October 22, 2009

Penniless Writers’ Guild


Anyone want to join?



Right now in the Vision Forum catalog there is a ‘Providence and Protection Essay Contest’ – ‘Write the most compelling story that artfully tells the “true” tale of the people, events, and giant beastie in the picture on the front cover.’ Only problem: 100-1200 word limit.



Emily, Isaac, and Caleb had an idea for a story together, so they decided to join forces. Their big incentive is the prize money ($1,000) and they wanted to enlist my assistance as proofreader, editor, and general story consultant.



Caleb, mathematician that is, was figuring out how much each of them would get with a three-way division. Some of his calculations were way over my head…



Well, you know how group efforts sometimes fizzle out, especially with regards to three siblings writing the same story. Isaac got another idea and went off on his own. He ended up writing the entire first draft of his story by hand in about thirty minutes.



Caleb and Emily were discussing their prospects (now that there was only a two-way division of aforementioned money.) Here's what Caleb said:



“When we win, I’m going to get a laptop and a digital camera. And I can even give some money to Jordan, because she’ll help us a lot with revising and stuff. IT’LL BE CHARITY.”



Hmmm.




2 comments:

Ptáček said...

Hahaha! Oh my goodness, I laughed out loud at the that last line. Your siblings are so very funny and cute. Also: you're a good story teller. love you!

emii said...

Hey! I just found your blog from a comment you left at http://www.therebelution.com, I love your blog! :)

Luv,Emii